Conference to reveal how to survive as an Illustrator in 2008
Posted by: Association of Illustrators
Date added: Tue 19 Feb 2008
This Association of Illustrators (AOI) conference is targeted at emerging illustrators and provides a useful guide to the illustration profession. A one-day seminar will take place on Wednesday, 12 March 2008, 11am – 5.15pm (registration from 10.30am), Cope Auditorium, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, LE11 3TU
This seminar will give practical advice and information on all essential issues relating to the illustration industry. Covered topics include the dos and dont's of portfolio presentation, the role played by the commissioner, self-employment, life experience of a professional illustrator and many, many more practical issues.
- Andrew Coningsby, Founder and Director of Début Art and the Coningsby Gallery, will cover portfolio presentation and general artist marketing, including the essentials of self-promotion.
- Gina Cross, Creative Manager, The Guardian, one of the the UK's leading exponents of editorial illustration, will discuss the role of a commissioner.
- Jasper Goodall arguably one of the most influential graphic artists of his generation, will talk about his life and work, which includes numerous commissions for the likes of Gucci & Adidas, leading editorials such as Dazed & Confused & The Face, and cover art for the band Muse.
- Greg Burne will discuss the set-up of Big Active as an agent that not only represents illustrators but also specialises as a creative consultancy in art direction and graphic design.
- Brooke Whitaker, Intellectual Property Lawyer, Bird and Bird, will provide an insight into protecting your legal rights as an Illustrator and being mindful of the rights of others.
- Alison Branagan, Creative Consultant, Visual Arts and Creative Industries, will cover the essentials of business planning and self-employment in order to pursue a profitable career in illustration.
Tickets (inc vat): £40 non-members. Concessions: £30 AOI members and students, £25 AOI College member students (bookings by lecturer), 10% discount on group bookings of 6 or more places, £20 AOI student members. Please book tickets in advance, online at www.theaoi.com or phone 020 7324 7222Illustration: Michael Kirkham
Association of Illustratorshttp://www.theaoi.com
2nd Floor, Back Building
150 Curtain Road
020 7613 4328
020 7613 4417
Other articles by Association of Illustrators:
A graduate from the University for the Creative Arts (UCA) at Maidstone has picked up a top award from the prestigious Association of Illustrators.
Wed 29 Sep 2010
The 'Re-drawing the Line' symposium will take place June 5 2008 at the London College of Communication, Elephant & Castle, 10:30 – 17:30.
Thu 17 Apr 2008
The panel discussion takes place on May 6 2008, from 7pm - 9pm, at The October Gallery, 24 Old Gloucester St, London WC1N 3AL. Free admission.
Thu 17 Apr 2008
Jonny Hannah, illustrator and William Webb, Design Director of Bloomsbury Publishing ,discuss the dynamics of commissioning works as part of Images 30 series of Exhibition Talks
Tue 04 Jul 2006
Enter your best work in the 31st Images competition, one of the UK's premier illustration competitions.
Mon 05 Jun 2006
By: Jonathan Williams
By: Jonathan Chadwick
By: kitten mitten